Saloon Settee

Birgit has been busy with the sewing machine, and the saloon now has upholstered cushions.

We were lucky buy a roll of material that was intended to be used as the cloth on car seats. The cutbacks and closures in the local car manufacturing industries provided us a bargain priced roll of material in a nice neutral colour. We first made covers for our dining chairs in the house, and after a year and several washes, they still look like new.

The cushions themselves are from a couple of new foam mattresses. We found some very thin but dense foam mattresses that were marketed as rollup camping mattresses, and these have provided excellent cushions. The foam was carefully sculptured using an electric knife. Corners were carefully bevelled, and trigonometry was again put into action for the covers.

Sorry:
- Please recheck your ID(s).
- If you are showing a private album, check that the "Retrieve Photos From" option is set to "User's Private Album" and that the Authorization Key is correct.
Posted in Cabins, Internal Fitout | Leave a comment

Airtight

We have now achieved a huge milestone towards completing our boat. It is now airtight.

Today we attached the last of the cabin windows. The cockpit windows and door have been fitted for a while, but we had to wait until the non-skid deck paint was completed before the fixed windows on the cabin sides could be fitted.

The design specification for the windows had an option of either 10mm acrylic (perspex) or 6mm polycarbonate (lexan). The acrylic has a harder surface and is less prone to scratching, but the polycarbonate is much stronger so can be used in thinner lighter panels. Three sheets are required for the windows around the outside of the cabins, and a fourth required for the opening cockpit windows. We used one sheet of the 10mm acrylic for the opening windows on the turret front, as these will be handled and the scratch resistance will be a benefit. On the sides of the turret and the lower cabins, we used the 6mm polycarbonate, and for the opening windows inside the cockpit used 6mm acrylic.

Peter Snell, the designer, provided detailed instructions for the fitting of the windows. Those instructions were excellent, allowing us to complete a very messy job with no extra effort for cleanup. Because the job was so messy, there are no photos of the process. Both surfaces (the plastic sheet and the cabin side) had to be coated in a nice smooth bed of silicon. Silicon is used for this instead of the Sikaflex product used on the hard deckware, as the windows will need to be removed one day to replace any crazing or scratches. We applied the silicon out of the gun and smoothed it into concentric rings around the rim of the window. But by following the instructions and utilising the protective film on the sheets of plastic, we were able to clean up the excess silicon with no mess.

Point your mouse to each of the small photos below, and you will see the process of removing the protective film from the inside once the silicon had half set.

Sorry:
- Please recheck your ID(s).
- If you are showing a private album, check that the "Retrieve Photos From" option is set to "User's Private Album" and that the Authorization Key is correct.
Posted in Build Features | 1 Comment

Pool Fool

We bought a new motor for the dink, and it needs to be run in. I chose the closest piece of water to put some time on the motor. Boating’s fine anytime.

Of course the furry friend has to get involved whenever there is some fun to be had.

Sorry:
- Please recheck your ID(s).
- If you are showing a private album, check that the "Retrieve Photos From" option is set to "User's Private Album" and that the Authorization Key is correct.

This is a speeded-up preview to the longer video:



Click here to see the longer version at normal speed with audio commentary.